Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The guilt of being a SAHM

Yes, I said guilt. It seems that there are a LOT of people that think if you choose to be a stay at home mom that you MUST be lazy. Well, we all KNOW this is NOT true! I truly envy the moms that can go to work all day and still take care of their home and family. I chose to stay home with my children so that I could be the one to raise them. I have been doing this for over 20 years and even after all of this time I do feel guilty about not bringing in a regular income. Oh, I do have a small day care I run out of my home, but this last year I lost some kids and the rest are now only part time. Our income has dropped considerably! Now I am faced with the issue of finding another job that will allow me to work from home or put out an add for more day care kids. I absolutely LOVE my day care kids, it is just the parents that I have had the most issues with. Oh and people not paying me, thinking that my time, money and energy I put into their children is not worth the money. This is very sad considering I am caring for their most precious possession on the planet. Now I am faced with the full force of the guilt in the new year. I HAVE to find a way to make it profitable for me to stay home. (I still have 2 kids in year round school and 1 teenager who does on line home schooling on K12, so I have to stay close to home.) My thoughts are "now what???" Do I want to start a new home based company? Find or make a product to sell? eBay? Do I place another add for daycare? The good news is we are making a difference in out budget and actually set one up last night. The cuts have been made. No fitness center membership, no more smoking for my hubby (this is a VERY hard one for him) no getting my nails done anymore. The one that hurts me is going to be no massages! My friend Edie has fixed me more and better than my chiropractor, so I know there will be pain in my near future. It is going to be hard to give up some of the things we have enjoyed over the years, but it will be rewarded in the end.

What are your thoughts? What have you tried to do to be able to stay home with your family? What has worked and what hasn't?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i donthave any money reccomendations; but i do have a great book, I read for school and did a whole paper/project on it, it called: In Praise of Stay at home moms,by Dr. Laura! It is an AMAZING book, all about how she has so muxh respect for SAHM and so should you the moms and everyone els tht thinks they have to stick there nose where it doesnt belong! i too have beencritizied for this especially with being preg. with my 4th already. But i was wondering if anyone has had much sucess with pampered chef or mary kay and other such things? wondering if they are worth doing them for earning money?!?!